Saturday, June 16, 2007

Fathers' Day!

Fathers’ Day! What a wonderful day for you to recognize your father and any special fathers in your life! Make it a special day for these men who often don’t take time for themselves.

Celebrating Fathers’ Day in my life now means acknowledging family members who are fathers and cherishing fond memories of my own father.

Dad weighed only four pounds when he was born. This was in rural Vermont with minimal medical support. He was the eighth of nine children. His father was a rural letter carrier who sometimes delivered mail in the snowy weather with original horse power rather than mechanical horsepower.

Even with Dad’s mother dying while he was in high school, he went on to graduate and received a scholarship to Colorado School of Mines and became a metallurgical engineer. His life work was in the steel industry ending as the president of a steel corporation before retiring.

Dad was an amazing leader and probably the most humble, down-to-earth person I’ve ever known. He showed total respect for every person he met, no matter what their occupation or social status. Dad died in 1998 after suffering from cancer. I still feel him sitting on my shoulder, offering support as I go through challenging projects at home or in my business.

Happy Fathers’ Day, Dad!

No comments: